The Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation (ZSR) is committed to improving the quality of life of all North Carolinians. ZSR invests in statewide, regional and community-based organizations that are dedicated to building an inclusive, sustainable and vibrant State. The groups that ZSR supports both work to build healthy, robust communities at the local and regional level and engage in education, civic dialogue and advocacy around issues of importance to communities and to North Carolina.
The Foundation focuses on:
- Strengthening and improving public education, such as building the leadership capacity of school principals and the instructional capacity of young teachers;
- Supporting community-based economic development, particularly through asset building, small business development, sustainable agriculture and affordable housing;
- Encouraging environmental sustainability and stewardship, for example through the promotion of energy efficiency, clean energy sources and clean water initiatives;
- Strengthening democracy by assuring that public institutions and processes are effective, transparent, accountable, accessible and inclusive; and
- Promoting racial and gender equity, a fair criminal justice system and the healthy integration of immigrants into our communities.
The Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation is an 80-year-old private foundation based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.